CURRENT CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS-3-1-2022
IOTA PI TKE- Alumni Association
The name of this organization shall be the Iota Pi TKE Alumni Association, hereinafter referred to as “Alumni Association”.
The Alumni Association shall be domiciled in Kent, Ohio and registered as a not-for-profit corporation in the State of Ohio.
The purpose of the Alumni Association is to promote the principles of Tau Kappa Epsilon among TKE alumni members and the Iota Pi active chapter.
Membership in the Alumni Association shall be available to all alumni of the Iota Pi Chapter who are no longer students at Kent State University, who are in good standing with the Iota Pi Chapter and the International Fraternity, and who are 21 years of age or older. Honorary members initiated into Iota Pi Chapter are also eligible for membership.
Any alumnus initiated into Tau Kappa Epsilon, at a chapter other than Iota Pi, may join the Alumni Association upon a majority vote of the Board of Directors.
Any member of the Alumni Association may be removed from the Alumni Association without cause by a ⅔ majority vote by the Board of Directors.
Dues may be established by the Alumni Association’s Board of Directors. Any member in arrears of dues may not speak on an issue in an Alumni Association meeting, vote, or be elected to the Board. Such members in arrears may participate in Alumni Association functions upon payment of applicable fees.
Officers shall consist of a, President, , Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Webmaster. The officers comprise the Executive Board. The Alumni Association membership will elect its officers no less than every 2 years. Any interim director vacancy shall be filled by nomination and majority vote of the Board of Directors.
The President shall have oversight of all Alumni Association activities. He shall coordinate the meeting agenda and preside over all meetings. He will be the Alumni Association’s principal officer and provide leadership in all areas. The President shall have the right to send out messages through the listserv.
The Vice-President will assist the Chairman in his functions and shall assume the duties of the Chairman in the Chairman’s absence.
The Secretary shall record the minutes of the meetings and distribute them afterwards for Board approval. He shall maintain the minutes and other records and transfer them to any successor Secretary. He shall be responsible for any required state or regulatory filings.
The Treasurer shall oversee the accounting and financial records of the Alumni Association. He shall maintain any bank accounts established and be responsible for receipts and disbursements.
The Webmaster will be responsible for all Alumni Association internet functionality. He will coordinate related processes and enhancements to maximize Association member communications.
The officers are elected by the Board of Directors by a plurality vote.
VII. BOARD of DIRECTORS:
The Board of Directors shall be elected by the membership no less than every 2 years. Up to nine fraters can be elected to the Board of Directors. The nine fraters on the Board of Directors shall elect the officers of the Alumni Association. Nominations may be made by any eligible Alumni Association member, including self-nominations. A majority vote may be electronic or by a show of hands. If a majority vote is not obtained, individuals will be elected to the Board via a plurality vote.
The Board of Directors shall be the Governing body of the Alumni Association
Each Director shall be appointed to lead or co-lead such committees as may be established by the Executive Board from time to time by the president.
Any Board vacancy that occurs between elections shall be filled by nomination and an Executive Board majority approval vote.
A Director may be removed from the Board by a 2/3 vote of the Board of Directors.
Calls for nominations go out through the listserv
In order to be eligible for office each candidate must have garnered 51% of the votes cast or more. If a number of fraters are running and none have over 50% of the vote, successive runoff elections will take place with the candidate with the lowest number of votes being dropped off the next vote. until a candidate garners 51% of the vote. The nine fraters who are eligible will be selected according to whoever receives the greatest number of votes.
Reunions will be attempted to be held not less than every 3 years. The Board will establish the reunion date at least 6 months in advance. A general membership meeting, overseen by the Chairman, will be held at each reunion, and not to exceed 2 hours in length.
- Facebook membership and participation.
The following are the rules for posting on our Facebook discussion page.
- Do not name your personal events as Iota Pi or TKE event.
- No unfraternal comments
- No personal attacks
- No hate speech or bullying
- No promotions or spam
- Respect everyone’s privacy
Section 1. The Board will meet quarterly or as called by the president. A quorum shall consist of Directors present.
If a general membership meeting is required other than at a reunion, a video conference meeting will be scheduled with at least 30 days’ notice to members.
Section 2 Quorum to do business shall be 51% of the Directors serving in office
- Electronic Communication
The Alumni Association shall maintain a web page and a list serv to be maintained by the Web Master. Only messages approved of by the Alumni President may be sent out. Any other frater besides the Alumni Association President who wants permission to send out listserv messages must be approved by a majority vote on the Board. The Web Master may maintain the Alumni Association database but is not impowered to send out messages without permission from the Alumni Association President or board for each message that he wants to send out. The call for elections to the Board of Advisors may be sent out on the listserv if requested by the Board of Advisors.
- CONSTITUTION AND BY-LAWS ADOPTION AND AMENDMENTS
The Constitution and By-Laws may be adopted or amended by a 2/3 approval vote of the Alumni Association membership. This document supersedes and replaces any existing similar Constitution or By-Laws that may be in place.
Adopted or Last Amended_______________ (date)
Signed ___________________ (Secretary) __________ (Date)
PROPOSED A.A. CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS-2024
IOTA PI TKE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
Article I Name and Purpose
Section 1: The name of this Association shall be “Iota Pi TKE Alumni Association”, hereinafter referred to as “Alumni Association”.
Section 2: The purpose of this Alumni Association is to promote the principles of Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity among TKE alumni members of the Iota Pi chapter, and active members of the collegiate chapter.
Article II Corporation
Section 1: The Alumni Association shall be domiciled in Kent, Ohio, and registered as a not-for-profit corporation in the state of Ohio.
Article III Membership
Section 1: Membership in the Alumni Association shall be available to all alumni of the Iota Pi chapter that are in good standing with the International Fraternity. Honorary members who were initiated into the Iota Pi chapter are also eligible for membership.
Section 2: Any alumnus initiated into Tau Kappa Epsilon at a chapter other than Iota Pi, may join the Alumni Association upon a majority vote by the board of directors.
Section 3: The membership roster of the Alumni Association shall be maintained by the Webmaster-Communications Officer for the sole purpose of official communications. Members of the Alumni Association are responsible for updating their information as it changes.
Section 4: Membership in the Alumni Association is a privilege. Any member of the Alumni Association may be removed pursuant to the procedures outlined in the Black Book.
Article IV Dues
Section 1: The Alumni Association Board shall determine dues, if any, annually. Voluntary contributions are also welcome and encouraged.
Section 2: All dues payments made to the Alumni Association will be administered by the Alumni Association Treasurer.
Section 3: The fiscal year for the Alumni Association shall be from January 1st to December 31st.
Article V Officers
Section 1: The Alumni Association Executive Board will consist of the following Officers:
- Communications Officer (Webmaster)
Section 2: Roles of Officers
- President: The Alumni Association President shall have oversight of all Alumni Association activities. He shall coordinate the meeting agenda and preside over official He will be the Alumni Association’s principal officer and provide leadership in all areas.
- Vice-President: The Vice-President shall assist the President in his functions and shall serve in the absence of the President. The Vice-President shall also assist in the oversight of the activities of all established committees.
- Secretary: The Secretary shall record the minutes of all meetings and distribute them afterwards, within 10 days, for approval by the Board. He shall maintain all records and transfer them to any successor and be responsible for all state or regulatory filings including notification of changes to the International Fraternity.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer shall oversee the accounting and financial records for the Alumni Association including State and IRS filings. He shall prepare an annual budget for approval by the board, maintain records of all donations received and maintain any bank accounts established. He shall be responsible for all receipts and disbursements and update the board with a financial report at least quarterly.
- Communications Officer (Webmaster): The Communications Officer shall be responsible for all Alumni Association online platforms and technological support of the Alumni Association. The Communications Officer may, at his discretion, enlist other members to assist him with these functions and or in his absence.
Article VI Board of Directors
Section 1: Composition
- The Alumni Association Board of Directors shall consist of nine (9) members.
- Five (5) of these positions will be held by the officers comprising the Executive Board.
- The remaining four (4) positions will be comprised of alumni members at large.
Section 2: Authority
- The Board of Directors shall be the governing body of the Alumni Association.
- Directors may be appointed to chair various committees as established by the President. The committee chairman may appoint other members to the committee as he deems appropriate.
- Any vacancy on the Board of Directors that occurs between elections may be filled by a nomination and majority vote of the Board of Directors.
- Any Director may be removed for cause pursuant to the procedures outlined in the Black Book.
Article VII Elections
Section 1: Frequency
- Elections to the Board of Directors shall occur every two years and members shall serve for a two-year term.
- Elections will be held during the last week of February in even numbered years.
Section 2: Procedure
- A call for nominations to the Board of Directors will go out to the Alumni Association Membership via electronic communication. Members may self-nominate.
- All nominations shall be sent to a designated email address that is administered by the Alumni Association.
- All nominees shall have the opportunity to provide a brief campaign statement at their discretion, 200 words or less, as to their qualifications for the role.
- Prior to the election, the list of nominees and their campaign statements will be sent to the membership for review. This communication will also include the date(s) that ballots may be cast electronically.
- Members may cast their votes electronically utilizing a secret ballot method during the scheduled voting period only.
- Within 48 hours of the close of voting, the results will be sent out to all members.
- The nine (9) nominees that receive the most votes will become the new Board of Directors.
- Election of Officers:
- The nine members composing the new Board of Directors will conduct a meeting and nominations will be taken for the Officer positions within the Board.
- The elected board members will then vote to fill the Executive Board positions.
- The outgoing Officers shall, within 30 days, turn over any materials, including administrative rights to technology platforms and/or bank account information, necessary for the business operation of the Alumni Association to the newly elected Officers.
- The Secretary-Elect shall notify the International Fraternity within 10 days of the names and contact information for the new Officers.
- The terms for the newly elected Board shall commence on April 1st.
Article VIII Meetings
Section 1: Board of Directors
- The Board of Directors shall meet as determined necessary by the President of the Alumni Association to conduct the business of the Association.
- The Board shall meet no less than quarterly.
- A quorum shall consist of a minimum of six Directors.
Section 2: General Membership
- General membership meetings will be held at least annually via a video conference.
- The Board will establish a date and a virtual meeting may be held with no less than 15 days’ notice to the membership.
- The Board may call additional meetings of the General Membership as deemed necessary with 15 day’s notice.
Article IX Electronic Communication and Social Media
Section 1: Website
- The Alumni Association shall maintain a website with information for the benefit of the membership. This shall be maintained by the Communications Officer-Webmaster and his designee(s).
- The platform utilized for this function shall be recommended by the Communication Officer and approved by members of the Board.
Section 2: Email Communication
- The Alumni Association will maintain a database of contact information of all members. This database shall be maintained by the Communication Officer and his appointed designee(s).
- This database shall be updated periodically as updates are made to contact information with the International Fraternity or as members update their information directly with the Alumni Association.
- Only email messages approved by the Alumni Association President, Vice President, or a majority of the Board may be sent out using the Alumni Association database.
- A member of the association wishing to send a communication to the other members using the Association database may submit their request to the Communications Officer. This request will be submitted to the Board of Directors and must be approved by a majority vote. Approval may take up to 7 days.
- The use of information in this database for any communication other than that approved by the Alumni Association is prohibited.
Section 3: Social Media
- The Communications Officer and his designee(s) shall oversee all Social Media Accounts operating in the Alumni Association’s name.
- This committee can determine which social media platforms, if any, on which they will publish information pertaining to the Alumni Association.
- Any member wishing to make a post to the Alumni Association’s Social Media may submit their post for consideration. Content will be reviewed by the Communications Officer and/or his designee for approval prior to posting. Any content deemed questionable will be referred to the Board for a decision. Approval may take up to 7 days.
Article X Amendments and Enforceability
Section 1: Amendments
- This Constitution and Bylaws may be amended or replaced by a 2/3 vote of the general membership that participate in voting. The voting period shall be a minimum of 7 calendar days.
Section 2: If any portion of this Constitution and Bylaws is found to be contrary to The Black Book, The Black Book shall take precedence.
Section 3: This Constitution and Bylaws shall be the governing document for the Alumni Association beginning on the effective date below. All preceding versions of the Alumni Association Constitution and Bylaws are no longer in force and effect.
Effective Date: __________________, by a vote of: ______ yea, _____ nay, ______ abstain
AA President AA Secretary
AA Vice-President AA Treasurer
AA Communications Officer AA Director at Large
AA Director at Large AA Director at Large
AA Director at Large